PCI Compliance - Making Sure Your eCommerce Website is PCI Compliant
This question comes up often and it is very important to be sure the eCommerce website you’re developing is PCI compliant. eCommerce website design is about more than just looks, it’s also about functionality and being sure that all information passed from one party to another is secure. When running an eCommerce store, the last thing you want to deal with is a security breach. A few issues must be thought of during development and we’ve run through them below.
Proper eCommerce Development – Designing and developing your eCommerce website approerialty is the first step. This takes knowledge of what needs to be implemented and how. It’s always a great benefit to work with an eCommerce development company (like ourselves), that specialize in eCommerce. The last thing you want is to have a web designer “learning” eCommerce development on your project.
SSL Encryption – An SSL certificate (secure sockets layer) will allow information to be transferred encrypted. This means even if the information is intercepted, it will not be readable. This is important for any eCommerce website and it is definitely needed to be sure you’re PCI compliant.
Storing Credit Card Information – When a customer checks out their credit card information should be passed to your merchant account provided via your SSL. This means the encrypted card number will not go into your database, but to a 3rd party who processed the credit card. The credit card number should not be stored in your database. This causes security issues and if anyone was to ever hack your website administration they would then be able to steal credit card numbers.
Run a Test – Once your website is completed, it’s time run a test. This will ensure that the website is PCI compliant and there are no problems. If any issues are found they should be taken care of. Your credit card processing company, or merchant account services, should run a PCI compliance test on your site before approving your account.
If you would like to receive a free eCommerce website estimate from OuterBox, please call us at 1-866-647-9218 or request an website design estimate online. We look forward to talking with you.
- Why and When to Use a Custom Content Management System
- Importance of Data for Powering Your eCommerce Site
- Managing Your E-commerce Website
- Website Redesign & Content for SEO
- What is E-commerce & How Does It Work?
- E-commerce Web Design and Search Engines
- E-commerce Website Features
- eCommerce Keyword Research Explained
- SEO Tactics & Star Wars
- 6 SEO Things Google Loves
- 8 Things Google Hates
- Tips for Creating a Social Media Campaign
- Bing's Growing Market Share & Google Local Search Results
- eCommerce Website Security
- Planning for Your Website
- eCommerce Website Cost: Pricing Your Site
- eCommerce Redesign Process
- How To Be The Best SEO Client
- Processing Credit Cards
- PCI Compliance
- Search Engine Basics & Search Engine Optimization
- Website Marketing & Web Promotion
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising & Website Marketing
- What is Website Hosting, and Who Should I Use?
- What is the Website Development Process?
- Google Page Rank
- Professional Web Design -What's the Difference?
- Choosing a Web Design Company
- Choosing a Search Engine Optimization Company
- What is Flash and How Does it Work?