When it comes to eCommerce websites, it's all about functionality, features, and design.
But which eCommerce features are most important for your success, and which eCommerce platforms can help you achieve your goals?
There are features you must have if you're running an online business and have an eCommerce website. In this article, we review some of the top eCommerce platforms and their features and include a full list of standard eCommerce features for all online stores and shopping cart platforms.
Many websites' success is determined by the products offered and how well the website is marketed, the features the website provides, and both the customer and the website owner. As a business owner, it is essential to have the tools to manage your website and that the administrative features fit with your business processes. For example, if you offer payment terms to your customer, you'll need to be sure the platform you're using gives you the ability to set a customer's credit limit. Before diving into an eCommerce project, think carefully about the features needed, or you'll be regretting it later!
Want a quick eCommerce website features & costs overview? Watch our 4:05 video below!
Let's dive in below and take a look at the major eCommerce platforms and players.
Onveos eCommerce Website Features & Overview
Perfect for custom projects. The success of an eCommerce store depends on much more than the products offered or the marketing behind them. Successful eCommerce websites rely on extensive features and functionality to maximize conversions, encourage repeat customers, and grow sales. As a business owner, it is crucial that you have the tools to manage your website and that the administrative features fit with your business processes. For example, if you offer payment terms to your customer, you'll need a platform with the ability to set credit limits per each customer. Before diving into an eCommerce project, think carefully about the features needed, or you'll be regretting it later!
Shopify Features & Shopify Website Overview
Overall, Shopify is easy to set up and celebrated for it's "plug-and-play" capabilities. It's a visually appealing platform with many professionally designed templates available. There are also lots of app integrations to choose from for adding additional functionality. Shopify boasts above-average security and site speeds when built by an experienced Shopify developer with these things in mind. However, Shopify is still a templated solution, which means you are bound to the availability of templates and app integrations for design and functionality. It also is not the most SEO-friendly platform out there, but it's not terrible in this regard. Make sure to find an experienced Shopify SEO company that is familiar with the SEO limitations of the platform, and most of these problems can be mitigated.
Want a quick Shopify features and plan overview? Watch the video below!
Magento Features & Overview
Magento is one of the most polarizing eCommerce platforms on the planet. In other words, people love it or hate it. The platform can be extremely SEO friendly; however, it still requires expert knowledge of the platform to leverage Magento's advanced SEO features. These advanced SEO features need to be more user-friendly to be a great eCommerce platform. Magento is significantly more scalable, customizable, and SEO-friendly than platforms like Shopify or WooCommerce, but you'll pay more too. Hosting can be extra expensive for Magento, especially for sites with thousands of products. If you build an eCommerce website on Magento, expect to hire Magento developers on staff or outsource with a Magento development company.
WooCommerce Features & Overview
WooCommerce is very popular for a few reasons. First and foremost, it is a shopping cart plugin for WordPress, the most popular free CMS platform on the planet. WooCommerce is an excellent choice for smaller-budget companies and start-ups, but really shouldn't be considered an enterprise-level solution. While it is possible to build a great WooCommerce site, it probably makes more sense to invest in a different platform if you're looking for enterprise-level solutions. Because it's essentially a plugin for WordPress, many of the typical benefits of WordPress apply for WooCommerce. Open-source, PHP, great plugins and development community, etc.. But, for scalability, security, and frankly, to be taken seriously, you probably want to look elsewhere.
Want a quick WooCommerce features overview? Watch the video below!
Learn more about all of the important eCommerce features below
Read all of the eCommerce features details below. For more information on our services visit our eCommerce website design page.
- Search and sort to easily find categories
- Manage categories and sub-categories
- Feature categories within navigation or on the homepage
- Set categories as “active” or “inactive”
- Set page URL's and SEO elements for categories
- Manage categories thumbnails and images
- Manage brands
- Feature brands on the homepage
- Set brands as “active” or “inactive”
- Set page URL's and SEO elements for brands
- Manage brand logos
- Manage products associated with brands
- Search and sort to easily find products in certain categories or with specific attributes
- Easily manage and edit products
- Product fields include name, SKU, product details, additional details, list price, your price, weight, stock, minimum quantity order amount, handling fee and more.
- Ability to select options such as featured, free shipping, reviews allowed, require moderation for reviews and more
- Add and manage main product image and additional product images
- Microsoft Word-like editor for managing content block, such as product details
- Feature products on the homepage
- Set products as “active” or “inactive”
- Add products to a single category or multiple categories
- Select product brand
- Add and manage product options and option groups
- Add and manage related products
- Add and manage accessories
- Attach and embed YouTube videos
- Manage (approve and delete) product reviews
- Set product page URL and SEO elements for products
Easily manage your content pages and your navigation.
- Manage content pages and create new content pages
- Edit pages using a Microsoft Word-like content editor
- Add images and manage uploaded image library
- Image editing and cropping tool
- Set page as “active” or “inactive”
- Set page URL and SEO elements
Easily manage your blog posts.
- Manage blog posts
- Set blog publish date
- Set post as “active” or “inactive”
- Add blog summary and full blog post using Microsoft Word-like content editor
- Add images and manage uploaded image library
- Select blog category and author
- Attached blog posts to product pages
- Set post URL and SEO elements
- Manage homepage banners
- Set banner sort orders
- Set banner URL or leave unlinked
- Set banners as “active” or “inactive”
- Manage your main navigations including header, side and footer
- Add drop down to main navigation
- Manage SEO elements on links such as link title
- Set links to open in same or new window
- Manage main email template design
- Set messaging for order status emails
- Set messaging for thank you email on product reviews and blog comment submissions
Manage automated email messages that go out to customers.
- Manage all product reviews
- Set reviews to “approved” or delete reviews
- Manage all blog comments
- Set comments to “approved” or delete comments
- Search and sort to easily find customers by first name and last name
- Manage customer accounts
- View customer details and previous orders
- View individual customers product reviews
- Add private comments to a customer
- Delete customer accounts
- Reset customer passwords
- Export customers to Excel
- Export customer subscribed to email newsletter to Excel (import capabilities for 3rd party email systems)
View orders and manage order details and status.
- Search and sort to easily find orders by specific variables
- Manage and updated order status
- View order number and all customer information
- View order information and purchase details (products, tax, shipping, addresses, etc.)
- Add private notes to the order
- View shipping and billing address maps
- Create and manage custom order statuses
- Receive email when order is placed
- Export orders to Excel
Use the promotion engine to create thousands of promotion code possibilities.
Discount & Promotion ManagementDiscount Codes
- Create and manage discount codes
- Add discount codes to categories, brand or products
- Add discount codes that affect shipping
- Set codes as “active” or “inactive”
- Ability to set percentages off, amount off or a set price
- “Auto Apply” discount codes when product added to cart option
- Set and manage dates code is active
- Set minimum and maximum quantity requirements for discount codes
- Set number of times code can be used before automatically becoming inactive
- Interactive administrative dashboard with charts and statistics
- Ability to change dashboard statistics to reflect specific date ranges
- Dashboard date-range reports include store sales by amount, store sales order volume, new customers vs. returning, top selling products, top selling brands, most used discount codes
- Dashboard general reports (not based on date range) include low inventory reporting, total products in store, total categories in store, customer count, lifetime orders and lifetime revenue
- Single reports, outside of the dashboard, include sales by date range, top selling product by date range, low inventory by quantity and new customer by date range.
Search Engine Optimization ManagementDynamic Titles
- Manage all dynamic title tag structure throughout the website
- Configure dynamic title and META tags for categories and sub-categories
- Configure dynamic title and META tags for brand pages
- Configure dynamic title and META tags for product pages
- Configure site wide default title and META tags
- Configure homepage title and META tags
- Set unique title, META tags and URL information for specific content pages, category, brand or product pages
- Set store static shipping rates based on weight, dollar amount and zone
- Set specific price or percentage of order
- Live shipping rates based on shipping address utilizing UPS, USPS and FedEx
- Set and manage shipping discount codes and promotions
- Set free shipping on individual products
- Set your stores origin of shipment zip code and country code
- Active and deactivate shipping carriers
- Manage UPS, USPS & FedEx available shipping services (ground, first-class, express, etc.)
- Active and deactivate payment types available
- Manage Authorize.net account settings
- Manage PayPal account settings
- Allow offline payment option
- Manage countries available
- Manage tax rates for each US State or Canadian province by percentage
- Activate and deactivate countries
- Set shipping zones per state or province
- Set email server configuration and store email address
- Fields include server name, server port, username, password, enable SSL and store email address
- * Email will be configured during development
- Add and delete administration logins with name, email and password
For more than 15 years we've been an award winning design, development and web marketing agency. Talk with us and see how we can help your business.