Shopify Website Design Pricing: Determining Cost of Build & Development
So, you’ve decided that Shopify is the most appropriate platform for your eCommerce store, now you’re wondering how much will your Shopify website cost?
Shopify offers tons of premade & affordable templates, but does that mean they will give your store the best chance to succeed? Or would it be better to hire an eCommerce web design agency?
If you want your store to stick out from your competitors, using the same template design that dozens or hundreds of other stores are using is less than ideal.
For those looking to dip their toes into the Shopify waters, it’s worth taking a look at Shopify’s selection of available premade templates, if for nothing more than inspiration. For established Shopify stores looking for a new design to improve performance and be more “on brand,” a custom Shopify website design is required.
Does Shopify design your website?
Shopify does not offer custom website design services, you must either choose from the templates in their store, purchase a Shopify template from a third-party, or hire a professional web design agency to design you a custom theme for your Shopify store.
While there are some decent premade theme templates available in Shopify’s store, the majority of established Shopify stores rely on a custom-designed theme, built with their brand aesthetics and online goals in mind. If you’re interested in using other platforms, read our full article on eCommerce website pricing and development costs to get an idea of what an eCommerce website can cost.
Shopify Website Design Pricing
For basic Shopify web design services, expect most agencies start around $500 to $1,000 for basic ala carte Shopify graphics or template creation. While you may be able to find an up-and-coming agency to design your entire Shopify store for $500 – $2,000 – more times than not, you get what you pay for. Most established Shopify design agencies’ costs will range from $5,000 – $20,000 for a custom-designed Shopify website.
At OuterBox, the majority of our Shopify website design projects fall somewhere in between the $10,000 – $20,000 range, with extensive projects approaching the $100,000+ mark.
Shopify website designs inherently follow a variety of unique page templates. For basic Shopify eCommerce stores, you need separate pages designed for product pages, category pages, blog pages, etc. Some Shopify store owners may develop one product page to be used for all products or may want custom-designed product pages for their more important pages. In general, the number of unique page designs and the extent of custom functionality needed beyond Shopify’s built-in features (integrations with a custom ERP or CRM, for example) quickly add to the cost of a professionally designed and developed Shopify store.
Shopify Website Marketing & Ranking On Google
Remember, building your Shopify website is only half of the battle – driving traffic to your website is a must. On average 43% of eCommerce website sales come from Google and other search engines, so it is super important to appear at the top of the search results for your most often searched keywords. You should work with an SEO company to develop a full keyword list and search engine marketing plan.
Below is an example of one of our SEO clients that run on the Shopify platform. If you need help with getting to the top of Google, contact our experts.
Quick Facts: How Much Does it Cost for Development & Design of a Shopify Website?
The costs associated with building a Shopify website include:
- Monthly Shopify Subscription: Ranges from $29.99/mo. for “Basic” to $299.99/mo. for “Advanced Shopify”)
- Theme/Template: Shopify offers some free basic templates/themes in addition to a number of affordable options. At the time of publishing this article, there were a total of 72 templates available in Shopify’s theme store, eight of which are free.
- Custom Shopify Website Design: If you choose a more professional route, a custom Shopify website design typically starts in the $10,000 – $20,000 range, depending on the complexity of the project and how many different page types need to be designed.
- Additional Development Needs: If you have additional functionality or require additional development work, this can quickly add to the price of your Shopify web design project. However, proper planning to achieve the necessary functionality early on can save you thousands of dollars in the future.
- Shopify Digital Marketing: To get shoppers to your Shopify store, you need to market it. Expect to pay an established agency several thousand dollars per month to retain digital marketing services like SEO. As a full-service web design, development, and digital marketing agency, we offer all of these related Shopify services under one roof, including web design & Shopify-specific SEO campaigns.
Quote Request - eCommerce Website QuoteGeneral quote request form for all services
General Shopify Pricing Info
Shopify is a hosted eCommerce platform based on a monthly subscription model, as opposed to a one-time purchase of a website. Shopify offers three membership levels: Basic Shopify ($29.99/mo.), Shopify ($79.99/mo), and Advanced Shopify ($299/mo.). See Shopify’s official pricing page for more details on general Shopify pricing and the features you get at each level.