Rise in Mobile eCommerce: Statistics & Infographic
With the close of the year 2012, it’s now evident that mobile and tablet use isn’t just a trend, it’s a market shift that eCommerce companies can no longer ignore. Currently, mobile internet access accounts for 30% of all US internet access. It’s anticipated to surpass total desktop internet usage by the year 2014.
Further research indicates that not only are users accessing the internet more now than ever before, they’re using it with ecommerce intent: also known as mobile commerce or M-Commerce. Google just conducted a study that shows the following impressive m commerce statistics:
- 10% of all retail ecommerce dollars are spent via mobile or tablet
- 96% of smart phone users have researched a product or service on their phone
- 58% of smart phone users researched products at home with a desktop in the house
- 35% of smart phone owners intentionally bring their phones shopping to price compare in stores
- 62% of smartphone shoppers make mobile purchases at least once a month
- 61% only look at the first page of results when conducting a mobile search
Ignoring this evolution will mean potentially missing out on m-commerce profits if your website is difficult to navigate on smaller devices. Here are some tips to make your website mobile friendly:
- Have a responsive website: Your website should be smart enough to resize based on the device it’s being viewed on.
- Tap-Friendly: make sure all buttons, links and calls to action have the appropriate size and margin to prevent errors and be “tap-friendly”.
- Text Phone Numbers: Make sure all phone numbers are text so users can tap-to-call.
- Visual Content: Since mobile websites are usually viewed on the go and on much smaller screens, utilizing visual content such as infographics and videos will be preferred over reading plain text.
- Main Navigation: increase padding around menu items so it’s easy for the user to read and tap on menu items
- Contact Forms: Increase form input fields so it’s easy for the user to fill out the form