In 2015 mobile traffic, as predicted (based on numerous studies and mobile eCommerce statistics), became just as prevalent as desktop traffic. That's why we've been emphasizing the importance of mobile responsiveness to our clients for years. Now, with more than half of all internet traffic coming from a mobile device, it is extremely important to make sure your website is primed for mobile viewing. As we sit here in 2018, let's look at the trends that continue to change.
Let us be clear: If you plan on running a successful eCommerce website, or any website, you absolutely must cater to mobile users. Not doing so is simply ignoring a majority of your potential customers. This has implications on how you consider the design of your eCommerce website, how you should think about eCommerce SEO and the importance of optimizing your website for mobile search results.
Not only are significantly more users accessing the web from a tablet or smartphone than a desktop, they are doing so with more eCommerce intent than ever before. During last year's busy holiday shopping season, a third of all online purchases came from smartphone users. Not even Black Friday was immune to mobile fever, as nearly 40% of sales on the traditionally brick and mortar shopping day came via a mobile device. That's up almost 10% from the previous year.
The fact is, it's now statistically much more likely that eCommerce customers will be interacting with your website from a smartphone or tablet than a desktop. Armed with this knowledge, it's your responsibility to create a shopping experience that appeals to your customers. Mobile shoppers are finicky, and rightfully so. With the highly competitive nature of the eCommerce industry, your customers will not hesitate to buy from your competitors if even the slightest headache arises.
Statistics show that 40% of users will go to the competitor after a bad mobile experience, yet an alarming 84% have experienced difficulty completing a mobile transaction. That is an incredibly high number, and it shows just how great the opportunity is for companies to capitalize on consumer conversion just by creating mobile responsive and user-friendly websites.
Still not convinced? Let these statistics do the talking:
eCommerce Mobile Stats
- 125 Million U.S. consumers own smartphones
- 50 million U.S. Consumers own tablets
- 62% of smartphone users have made a purchase online using their mobile device in the last 6 months
- One third of all eCommerce purchases during the 2015 holiday season were made on a smartphone.
- eCommerce dollars now comprise 10% of ALL retail revenue
- 80% of shoppers used a mobile phone inside of a physical store to either look up product reviews, compare prices or find alternative store locations
- An estimated 10 Billion Mobile Connected Devices are currently in use
Ignoring these trends in mobile eCommerce (referred to as m-Commerce in the industry) evolution means potentially missing out on more and more profit as these trends continue. Hopefully, mobile optimiation and conversion optimization are part of the SEO services offered by your web company. If you're trying to make improvements on your own, here are some tips to make your website mobile friendly:
- Your website should be programmed to intuitively adapt to whatever device is accessing it in order to provide the most user-friendly experience
- Tap-Friendly: make sure all buttons, links and calls to action have the appropriate size and margin to prevent errors.
- Text Phone Numbers: Make sure all phone numbers are text and not images so users can tap-to-call, or copy and paste the number to share with a friend.
- Visual Content: Since mobile websites are usually viewed on the go and on much smaller screens, utilizing visual content such as infographics and videos will be preferred over reading lengthy text.
- Main Navigation: increase padding around menu items so it’s easy for the user to read and tap on menu items.
- Contact Forms: Increase form input fields so it’s easy for the user to fill out the form.
Infographic created by http://www.EuroITGroup.com
For more than 14 years we've been an award winning design, development and web marketing agency. Talk with us and see how we can help your business.